ADD Awareness Day is on Wednesday, September 20th 2006. ADDA has a lot of great information that makes it easy and simply for ADDers to get involved to get the word out about ADD awareness. ADDA is “happy to advertise both your group and your event on our website”. ADDA’s ADHD Awareness Task Force is looking for volunteers to work on the committee that will now work year round to promote ADD awareness.
Think of it as your opportunity to educate people about ADD, especially those who say it doesn’t exist or it’s a drug company and space alien conspiracy etc. Doesn’t have to be a big event, can be as simple as a letter to the editor.
If people with ADD don’t start advocating for ourselves and our condition no one will do it for us.
Check out ADDA’s site for resources you can use for doing something in your neighbourhood for ADD Awareness day. They have done a lot of the planning and preparation, so it’s easy for you to pick something you’d like to do (see their What Can I/We Do For Awareness Day? for ideas. CHADD‘s website announces the day but has no activities planned an no suggestions on their website. Too bad.
In Canada, unfortunately as usual we’re behind the US on this and nothing planned yet, sigh… maybe next year. If you live in Canada and want to know why we should have an Canadian ADD awareness day here see my article on my website about it.
Here’s a list of the Free Resources ADDA has to make it simple and easy to plan your ADD Awareness day event
* Press Release
* Organizing an Awareness Event – Strategic Planning Form
* Proclamation – Office of the Mayor of Naperville, IL
* Create a Local Splash! Slides to help you organize a high-profile AD/HD event Awareness Event in your area
* 15 Creative Ways To Build Local AD/HD Awareness
* Sample Letter to Libraries
* Sample Cable TV Letter and Press Release
* Sample Public Service Announcement
* Sample Letter to the Editor
* Example of Typical Proclamation Process
* National AD/HD Awareness Campaign Task Force Interest Form
* What Can I/We Do For Awareness Day?
* AD/HD Books – The Short List
* Essay Campaign Poster
* Awareness Day Poster
* AD/HD Fact Sheet
* AD/HD Fact Sheet en Espanol
* Awareness Day Event – Information Sheet
* Diagnosis and Treatment of AD/HD: Questions You Can Ask Your Physician
* Share Your Story of Empowerment!