Updated with new ones 2017.
Many of us ADDers have trouble getting to sleep, staying asleep and waking up.
Here are two articles from my Vancouver Adult ADD Support Group Meeting Notes on sleep you might want to check out.
Problems With Sleep. How To Go To Sleep Easier, Stay Asleep Longer And Wake Up When You Want To.
Sleeping Problems ADHD Adults Have And How To Reduce Them.
Here are a few creative alarm clocks for the perpetual hard to wake ADHD Adult. Or their ADHD children too, remember ADHD is 80% genetic.
Clocky Alarm Clock on Wheels.
We ADDers love a challenge. Hide and go find the alarm clock. Comes in different colours.
“Never over-sleep again! Clocky is the alarm clock on wheels that runs away beeping! You can snooze one time, but if you don’t get up, Clocky will jump from your nightstand up to 3 feet high, and run around your room as if looking for a place to hide. You’ll have to get out of bed to silence Clocky’s alarm.”
Smartshaker 2 By iLuv, Portable Vibrating Travel Alarm Bed Shaker With Multiple Alarms
Some ADHD adults are the kinesthetic types. Or heavy deep sleepers. When the sound is not enough? Try this.
“WAKE UP BETTER THROUGH AMAZING VIBRATION: Download the app, set your alarm and place this thin pod under your pillow. Adjust the vibration wirelessly through the app and wake up through any combination of vibration and sound.
• Connect to your smartphone wirelessly via Bluetooth Smart
• Set it and forget it. Once the alarm is set, it will go off
• Multiple alarm options
– Via SmartShaker: silent vibration, ringing audio tone or both
– Via rainbow7 light bulb: light up your room as you wake up to SmartShaker2
• 3 level vibration strength settings (Normal – Strong – Strongest) will wake anyone up on time
• 16 levels of volume control
• Battery lasts up to 7 days of usage before needing to recharge
• Great for travelers, couples, roommates, students, heavy sleepers, and those with hearing loss”
Warmhoming Portable Night Light Alarm Clock with Wireless Bluetooth Speaker, Smart Touch LED Mood Lamp with Adjustable brightness, Supported MP3 Player
Put you gently to sleep and wake you up, with sounds and sights.
- “✔ 5 IN ONE Super Multifunctional — Touch Sensor Night Light + Bluetooth 4.0 Hifi Speaker + Digital Alarm Clock + MP3 Player + Hands Free Call. Connecting with Bluetooth 4.0 super easily and fastly, compatible with all Bluetooth devices. Support flash drive/micro SD Card input, AUX input.
- ✔ Night Lights For Kids or adult — 3 Levels Brightness: dim, soft, and bright white light. Touch the top, one touch, two touch, three touch… full control the light Brightness and power on/off. Table lamp with classic white design, soft lamplight take you into sweet dreamland. Portable sleep mode night-light can be used for relaxing, traveling, living room, bedroom reading, kids night-light.
- ✔ Bluetooth speaker 4.0 — Higher quality sound with Deep base (Quality 5W acoustic driver, aptX Lossless technology), easily connect with any Bluetooth enabled phone and tablet. Built-in microphone for hands-free speakerphone calling. Listening to audio books in the bedroom at night, or playing music while cooking, this product will go everywhere with you, and literally brighten your everyday!
- ✔ Alarm Clock — Big digit 12/24H Alarm Clock with Calendar, Alarm and Sleep mode. Can be use as MP3 Player with USB and micro TF/SD Card input. More Function: Support Bluetooth, 3.5mm AUX Jack, micro TF card and USB input to satisfy your variety needs. Also support Sleep Mode – auto turn off lamp and speaker after setting.”
Vibe Alarm Clock.
Do you have a mixed marriage? I.e., a night owl and a morning person? And one is a heavy sleeper? Here’s the alarm clock for you.
“Battery-Powered Dual Alarms Alarm Clock with Vibrating Wristband Alert,
Perfect for people in room-sharing situations on for different wake-up schedules. The soft vibrating wristband is made with your comfort in mind. It fits onto any size wrist with the adjustable strap. The TCL Vibe Travel Alarm Clock can store two different alarm times.
Designed for extremely heavy sleepers or people with hearing loss, the TCL Vibe sounds a loud 75dB audible alarm, and wirelessly transmits alarm signals to the included vibrating wristband.”
Wake-Up Light, Totobay Sunrise Simulation 5 Colors Alarm Clock / Night Light with Nature Sounds or FM Radio
Gently get awakened by Thomas Edison’s Sunshine.
- “Sunrise Simulation – The wake-up light gradually brightens from 1% to 100% at the set time to gently bring you out of a deep sleep, refreshed and ready for a new day. (If you don’t want to hear the sounds in the morning, set it to 7, which is the silent option)
- 6 Nature Sounds or FM Radio Alarm Clock with Touch Control – 6 realistic nature sounds including ocean waves, river, birds, farm, rain forest, bubbling brook. Or choose to wake up to your favorite FM radio station.
- 5 Color Night Light & 4 Adjustable Brightness – Choose your favorite color for the light from warm white- green- red- blue- purple or have them fade from one to the other. You can easily adjust the brightness of the light to suit your needs as a lamp or night-light or in between.
- Multi Functional– The fashionable wake-up light can serve as a bedside light, night-light, mood light, and alarm clock; as well as an FM Radio to listen to your favorite music or news station”
Doctor Who Dalek Projector Alarm Clock – Digital Timer with Dr. Who Sound Effects
For the Sci Fi fan.
- “Doctor Who Digital Alarm Clock – Inspired By The Doctors Nemesis, The Dalek
- Makes a Great Addition To Your Collection Or Gift for Any Dr Who Fan and Whovian!
- Projects The Time Onto the Ceiling And Has An Alarm To Get You Ready For The Day
- Dalek Shouts “Exterminate” To Get You Out Of Bed
- Officially Licensed Doctor Who Collectible. For Ages 13+”
113 Decibels of Wakeness. Sonic Alert Sonic Bomb Loud Dual Alarm Clock with Bed Shaker.
3 flashing alert lights. Up to 113 Decibel alarm. Will wake you silently while others sleep. Or wake everyone in the house up:)
Set your own snooze time. Set your own alarm duration. 5 level dimmer
Tech Tools Flying Alarm Clock
We ADHD adults are hunters. Boosts dopamine. Gotta hunt to turn it off.
“When the alarm goes off, a helicopter flies into the air, carrying the key to turn off the alarm. The only way to silence the alarm is to get out of bed and find the key! The true late sleeper has finally met their match!”
Wake n’ Bacon
Wouldn’t it be nice to wake up to freshly cooked Bacon? The wonderful smell, the delicious taste, the dopamine boosting protein helping you wake up?
“Why not get woken up to the wonderful smell of cooked bacon than an irritating alarm? Wouldn’t that put you in a better mood, especially when you not only smell the bacon but start your day with cooked bacon?”
“USE: Just put a couple strips of pre-cooked bacon on a paper towel in the teflon cooking tray the night before, and set the Cook Time for 4 minutes. The bacon can be left out overnight with no problem since most of the moisture has been already cooked out of it, and there’s no preservatives besides the fact that it is salt-cured and smoked like all bacon is.
Before I discovered pre-cooked bacon, I used frozen strips of raw bacon to keep them from spoiling overnight and cooked them at a longer cooking time.”
Northwest Flying Alarm Clock
Hunt your alarm clock to turn it off, go crank up your dopamine with the hunt which will help wake you up more.
“When the alarm sounds, the propeller launches into the air, releasing the key to snooze. The alarm continues to go off until you catch and place the propeller back in the return station.”
Do you have a favourite non-traditional alarm clock that works for you?